Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Travel Across Europe For $100 a Day?


I know, I know. It sounds too good to be true. But according to a blog post in today's New York Times, it's possible to do, thanks to the plunging value of the Euro and the leveling of the exchange rate.

Currently, the exchange rate is around $1.35 to the Euro- and if that sounds bad, then you obviously didn't travel abroad last year.  When I was studying abroad in Prague in spring 2008, the Euro peaked at $1.64- which put a serious dent on my travel plans in the last few weeks of the semester and forced me to place chagrined phone call (or two) home to the parents to wire me some money.

It's ironic that so many things are becoming decently priced just in time for no one to be able to afford them. It's a depressing cycle: gas prices are at their lowest in months, airline tickets have been slashed, luxury companies- from Coach to Versace- are having sales to get by (and trust me, they're not happy about it.) Time to start buying some scratch-offs...

No comments:

Post a Comment